1. O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel!
2. O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who ord’rest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.
3. O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times didst give the law,
In cloud and majesty and awe.
4. O come, Thou Rod of Jesse’s stem,
From ev’ry foe deliver them
That trust thy mighty pow’r to save,
And give them vict’ry o’er the grave.
5. O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heav’nly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
6. O come, Thou Dayspring from on high
And cheer us by thy drawing nigh;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadow put to flight.
7. O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all humankind;
Bid thou our sad divisions cease,
And be thyself our Prince of Peace.